19 August 2013

Coming to you live from the other side of the world!

Hey, all, I'm back, but not in Iceland!

Nope, this is coming to you from China - Yangshuo, to be specific.  I'm here for 12 months teaching English, and just got in on Sunday afternoon, after a 2/ hour trip from Toronto to Hong Kong to Guilin to Yangshuo.

Thus far, I've been floored by the scenery (which should come as no surprise) and just how green everything is.  Also, how wet it is.  It's not raining now, but it has been, apparently, for the last five days straight.  I have an umbrella, but I'm thinking that a poncho/rain-cloak would probably be a safer investment.  That should give you an indication of how wet it is here, by the way; I hate umbrellas and rain-gear, normally.

Anyway, not much going on yet - administration and whatnot, really - but I did get some photos snapped with my cellphone (which is likely to be my main camera here), so, without further ado, you can check them out under the read more jump!




In the Hong Kong International Airport restroom, after a 3 hour nap, a shower, and a meal in the Airport lounge.  I am feeling surprisingly more refreshed than I look.

Yangshuo is surrounded by these mountains.  I'm not actually sure if they can be called mountains, though...

They just spring up, unbidden, from otherwise flat land.

No foothills at all.

And they are literally everywhere.

Glowering, mist-shrouded sentinels.


Watching you, no matter where you go.


Always within sight.

Dominating the skyline..

Almost as if to remind you that you are an interloper in their domain.

And they will be watching from the mists.


2 comments:

  1. Those xenomorph-hive shaped mountains always surprise me. I keep forgetting those are actual formations and not just stylized drawings. You really have stepped into a dream.

    ReplyDelete